The Digital Native

What is a digital native? For those opposed to clicking the hyperlink and reading, feel free to watch the somewhat cheesy video below of children summarizing the same information but more vaguely:



 So do I consider myself to be a digital native like these adorable twerps seem to be? Am I constantly connected? Absolutely. Am I "the web?" Sure, why not! But I have a hard time categorizing every person into the notion of either a native/immigrant. I also wonder if it's possible for a native to transition into an immigrant.

According to The Huffington Post, digital natives are those born during the rise of digital technologies. But what about during times of digital advancement? Am I losing my native status because I don't the latest apps or  know what Snapchat streaks are? If it were up to me, I'd say so. Each day, my students at Central Falls High School make me feel more and more like a "digital immigrant."

They often ask me if I have heard of certain games, apps, or songs. More often then not I have no clue what they are referencing and they immediately quip with "Mister, you're old!"













However, many times I receive long winded phone calls from my mother or grandma asking me to add music to their phones or to download a photo album. I give them the same sharp response my students give me. It doesn't make sense to me to have only two categories to choose from. Thought I clearly fit into the Native category, I think that generations are a far better representation of digital comprehension, even though there will always be exceptions to the rule.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are Today's Youth Digital Natives? - Boyd

Freedom Writers, White Teacher to the Rescue - Chela Delgado

Turkle and Wesch - Allies or Opponents?